Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Random thoughts

Six random thoughts ...hmmmm.

1. Funny, when one is asked about random thoughts, you suddenly have none.

2. I don't like the idea of "flesh toned" band aids. They are only "flesh toned" for a certain demographic.

3. Can I do the job I do for the rest of my working career? I'm not sure and it certainly depends on the day. Should I go back to school? But then what?

4. I'm lucky to have my health and need to take better care of myself which leads me to my recent decision to change my healthcare provider. Easier said than done though since I personally have a little hang up about scrubbing in for surgery with a physician and then going over to their office for a pap smear. So who do I chose? I know this is my own personal issue about the situation and that all of the providers would be completely professional about it and not give it another thought, just as I do when I take care of a co-worker. Still it feels a little too weird and I'm having a bit of a struggle with it.

5. I hate insomnia! Though I rarely sleep well, I've had a really bad last couple of nights, as in probably a total of three hours a night and not all together either. I need to look into Mindy's Heavenly Bed idea.

6. Happy Inaguration Day!!! Even though President Obama has stated repeatedly that we have a tough road ahead of us as a nation and it's going to take a lot of work to get us back on track, I still predict that it will be a very short time before the oh so fickle (and frankly, not very bright)general public starts to blame him for their sad state of affairs and will have completely forgotten how we got here. Unfortunately I think there will be a lot of "I knew they shouldn't have elected a black man" kind of comments. They bask in the glory of it all now, but will turn on a dime. Here's hoping I'm wrong and that his decisions will be judged on merit and not on color.

5 comments:

brenda k said...

Sorry to hear about your insomnia. Our family has a weird sleep gene I think! I can remember mom being up alot in the night, your mom too - and I have certainly had my battles with insomnia.

There are a couple variables that I have come to know are important for me when it comes to sleep.

Your bed IS very important. When I got out of the hospital in '07, we got a temperpedic overlay to put over the mattress I was using downstairs. It was for my tail bone specifically, but the side effect I got from that thing, was the most amazing sleep! When we got rid of that bed and the overlay, our bed upstairs felt like a slab of concrete! Because that set was new, we opted for another temperpedic overlay - a high end one - and put that on the bed. It is awesome! I get into that thing and it's just like Mindy said - total Heaven. The pillow top beds are awesome, too. I think my next big purchase will be a pillowtop set. BUt for now, the temperpedic overlay does it for me.

One other thing that has helped me - to kind of push me to the edge of really needing sleep...a good work out. It tames your system down and just sort of induces a layer of calmness (for me). My workouts arent that dangerous - but a good 45 hard minutes on the treadmill 3-4 times per week has me sleeping like a baby!

I am finding huge irony in typing all of this because I am certain I will be up all night now! Just like your last post - now that I have said it I have sealed a fate so to speak! Bye bye Lucid Dreams! LOL

suzieQ said...

I'm always willing to take any tips on how to get a good night's sleep, though I feel like I have read every printed word on the subject. I also tend to eat at night as well and that is a habit I am REALLY trying to stop, although it feels like a smoker telling themselves not to have another cigarette (I would imagine). A few night's ago I combined the above habits with a somewhat lucid dream. I got up and went to the kitchen and knew that I was eating something and felt relatively awake except that I felt like it was really important that I leave a half a glass of milk on the counter for Brian. That he was going to need it to be there. So in the morning there sat the glass of milk and I remembered that sense of it being important but I had no idea why.

Little Sister said...

Ladies-it is called being pre-menopausal-and yes we are at the age when we will not sleep at night for stretches-and that is why we blog. Happy 40's!!!
P.S. LOVE my temperpedic overlay AND good quality sheets...also a humidifier.

brenda k said...

Wow! The half glass of milk thing is kinda cool! LOL Cathy used to roam around in her sleep,too, didn't she? I seem to recall someone peeling an orange at the kitchen table one night when I was sleeping on the floor at your house when we were little. Even stepped over the vacuum cleaner without missing a beat!

suzieQ said...

Sorry Ruthie, but I haven't slept well since my children were infants. They started sleeping through the night and I never did again.