Monday, December 1, 2008

FFA Fruit

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! I feel a bit like a just got a big "Dating Game" kiss - remember the big kiss blown at the end of the show with the giant arm wave? Loved to see all the comments. I just returned tonight from delivering FFA fruit. What a job! My eldest offspring is the president of the local chapter and they sell copious amounts of fruit as a fund raiser. I see a tie in with the newly started eating habits. I am told the term FFA no longer stands for Future Farmers of America. Apparently they felt it was too limiting and now it refers to anything agriculturally related. I must take a moment to give props to the local ag teacher/advisor. He is awesome with the kids and I believe he should be cloned and put in every classroom in our school system, especially at the high school level where my children have the benefit of having him for classes. He's passionate about not only teaching his courses, but also what it is to be a successful human being. Most of what he conveys to them is life skills, not just ag skills. He will shake a student's hand, look them square in the eye and tell them how proud he is of them because they worked hard and did their best. Where they placed in a contest comes way down the list. I 'll get off that soap box for now.
Any way, what I thought was going to be a huge chore, ended up being quite pleasurable. I had very nice visits with my mother in law, father in law, a neighbor, and my parents. Needless to say, the evening took longer than expected. But I had the opportunity to share with my parents MGs thoughts about his father and the new snow. My mother immediately responded that she knew just what that loss felt like having lost her only sister and sibling over 25 years ago. She related how difficult it was to see their house every day and have things she wanted to tell her sister S. only to remember that she was no longer there. I guess I forget sometimes how acute that loss was/is to her. We then started talking about how many of my friends no longer had their parents and there sat both of mine in their kitchen. I took the opportunity to tell them how lucky I was to have them both there. I guess the older I get and the more loss I see through my work, I try to make the effort to say out loud what should be said - sometimes today is the only day you get.

6 comments:

brenda k said...

I am reduced to tears with this post, my dear. I am so glad you told your mom and dad how you feel about them. Your mom and dad have filled a void in my life for so long and I have enjoyed really getting to know your mom these past couple of years. That woman would do absolutely ANYTHING for me. I adore those two more than I can even find words for. I have grown to know that your mother is one of the most selfless people I have ever met. Your dad too. Your mom called me on Friday wanting to know if I had enough xeroform for the weekend or should she run to Rochester to get more? I was just dumbfounded. I feel so lucky to have them to depend on, too.

When they brought me home from the hospital a few weeks ago, at about Harmony I felt like I was getting sick. I held a bag close to my face for a long time and fought it as hard as I could. Your dad was so cool - he just said "Let me know if you want to pull over..." I never had to, thankfully - and by the time we got to Decorah I was fine. Probably just the drive after spending so many days in bed. But then, I said to them, "There are not many people I would want to take me back and forth to these things, but I am so comfortable with you and it should make you feel very honored that I could throw up in front of you and be okay with that!" LOL I was kind of laughing and said, it was a back handed compliment but it just meant that I really felt close to them.

Your mom said from the backseat, "Well, we have thought of you as a daughter, for a long, long time and we would do anything we can for you....."

None of us said anything for a few miles. Didn't need to. :-)

brenda k said...

OH! I forgot - I want to buy some fruit!!!!!!!!!! What all do they have this year?

Any chance they are peddling cucumbers or radishes or watermelons? ;-)

michaelg said...

I remember helping my brother sell FFA fruit. Oranges and those Red Delicious apples. If I knew it would keep until x-mas, I would order some. Will it?
You are very fortunate to have both your parents. You are even more fortunate to have the sense to tell them you value them. That has to mean the world to them.

suzieQ said...

The orders were placed at the end of Oct. and we are in the delivery phase of the fruit sales now, but I know they have some extra for sale. I believe it is oranges, grapefuit, apples, maybe some pears. I think it would be iffy, MG, if it would last till Xmas. call me at work or cell # if you want some. It will go fast. We'll remember to call you next time.

brenda k said...

So I guess that's a "negative" on the radishes and cucumbers also? ;-)

michaelg said...

Hey, why can't I comment on your crankiness in the post about your boots??